Thursday, January 6, 2011

Greetings programs. Okay yeah I know this is a little late but there is a saying better late than never. Now I don’t know if what I would call this or anything else I do of its type a review per se. It’s really more of my opinion then anything and yes I am very opinionated

When I first saw this movie it was in Imax and that worried me a little because I was afraid that maybe it was the impact of the Imax screen that impressed me and not the movie. The next week I saw it on a normal screen was still impressed so yes I liked this movie. Everything from the acting to the soundtrack by Daft Punk was just worth the wait and I cannot wait to pick this movie up on Blu Ray.

Hey, do you know what’s worse than spoiled milk? Spoilers on movies so read on with caution if you haven’t seen the movie and if you haven’t then shame on you.

First off let’s talk about the visuals in this movie. I just have one word for you on the subject; stunning. I was afraid that the visuals wouldn’t be the great or start to get boring because of all the dark colors used in the movie but never once was I thinking about that or really noticing it for that matter. It fits very well since “The Grid” as its called had been corrupted so all the darkness made sense and the vibrant color made up for it and quite frankly I don’t think they would have been as impressive if it were a lighter movie.

Another cool visual in the movie would be the characters of CLU and young Kevin Flynn since they are Jeff Bridges as he looked when the first Tron came out. Yes you can tell that it’s an effect and at times it does look fake but the fact that they still were able to do this and do it pretty well impressed me. This is a hard technology to get right since they really have no reason to use it that much so for what we get with it I like what they did.

Here’s the plot; Kevin Flynn goes missing and leaves behind a child named Sam. When Sam grows up he finds himself in The Grid as he tries to find his missing father. Come to find out that his father’s creation CLU, who looks just like his creator, has taken over and that his father has been hiding from this monster for all these years. You see the gate needed to get out of The Grid had closed on Flynn and now if Sam can’t get back to it he’ll be trapped as well. Ah, but there is more. You see Flynn has a “Master Key” disc that CLU needs to transport himself and these evil programs out of The Grid and into the human world where CLU basically wants to destroy all humans. Guess who wins in the end.

Although it’s a pretty basic plot, it works. If you really look at it the plot is pretty close to the one from the first one and much like the first one the boys have a Hotty Mchot Program helping them. It may be predictable that CLU loses in the end and hell it’s even predictable that Flynn loses the Master Key disc at one point but now a days what movie doesn’t have predicable elements? Sometimes I think basic can be better then overly complex.

As for the acting in this movie I liked it. I thought they did a very good job for actors that were probably in front of a green screen most of the time. I think the two notable performances one which come from Olivia Wilde as the hot, lovable Quorra. There was something about the quirkiness and her being naive that made her interesting. She almost reminded me of a grown up child.

The other performance comes from Jeff Bridges as CLU. I did like him as Flynn as well and hate it when people say he was just doing the Dude. Watch the first Tron it’s the same character. Anyway, he proved that he could play a good villain. The energy, intensity and power that he brought to the character you would think that he was as young as the character looked. Besides any movie where you can get two Jeff Bridges sounds good to me.

This movie wasn’t perfect of course. There were a few things that I didn’t like. One of which was at the End of Line Club. It’s funny that a movie that looks like one big rave and a part I don’t like happens in a rave. It wasn’t so much the club that seemed out of place as it was the owner Zeus. His eccentric personality and air guitar just didn’t do much for me and the whole scene was kind of pointless. It was just really the catalyst for Flynn to lose his Master Key disc. The other thing I didn’t like had to do with Tron or the lack there of. You find out in a flash back, which again had some pretty cool de-ageing effects, that CLU captured Tron. What you don’t find out until the end is that the bad ass character of Rinzler is really Tron. That’s fine but where I have the problem is that this character is wearing a mask the whole time (So you can’t tell that there is a young guy under there doing those crazy moves) and yet Flynn realizes that’s Tron. How? It doesn’t make sense. In that same flash back we see Tron with two discs because he took one from a bad guy and Rinzler fights with two discs. So is Tron the only idiot on The Grid that fights with two discs? It would seem so.

Other then that the movie is great and I give it 8.5 out of 10. If you like hot girls, awesome light cycle battles, great music and yes even some emotion then this movie is for you. Any fan of the original movie would like it and even if you never seen the first one its okay things get explained. That is Tron Legacy.

End of line man.

No comments:

Post a Comment