Thursday, January 20, 2011

Awesome Games in the 21st Century: Tomb Raider

A new Tomb Raider was announced to be released at the end of this year.  Pre-registration is starting now.  Before you think this is stupid, this it not the average Tomb Raider.  After the blunder from Underworld's low sales, Crystal Dynamics split up, and one half has decided to reboot another series to the franchise.  This is not going to be just an action adventure platformer and third person shooter.  This is also going to deal with survival skills and a little bit of horror.

Look at that picture.  That's some serious business right there.  So far we don't know so much to the gameplay.  The best information as of now is GameInformer's latest issue.  There are several screenshots of the new Lara and her realistic size breasts.  As for story we know that she just finished school, and during a boat trip to Japan, she is washed up on an island, where she has to survive.  From what I gathered, you have to treat this game seriously as a survivor.  You have skills you need to acquire and get tools and weapons for combat.  If you haven't played a survivor before, you have to be careful when it comes to limited items because well they're limited.  This includes food, water, supplies, health packs, and I'm sure ammo. The only thing that makes me really curious is how much ammo you can get because there is a complex combat system (as told from Crystal Dynamics) and a new aiming system called "free aim" instead of just the regular third person auto lock system all the other Tomb Raiders had. 

The design on Lara makes her look a different person, and the voice actress from the previous trilogy of games since Legend has yet to be announced to voice act as Lara again for this game.  There is even a rumor that she turned down the offer.  I think it's pretty amusing that she looks a lot like Sheva from RE5 in this picture.  I'm surprised she doesn't have a whip and an Indiana Jones hat.  Instead she has a pistol, bow, and what looks like an icepick or a pipe.  The environments are really creepy, and count on being in dark tombs and caves a lot throughout the game.  You will discover bodies and bodies strung up everywhere, and judging by how dark this game looks, I'm going to guess it's a survival horror.  I'm such a little girl when it comes to anything popping out and screaming in front of my face, but I'll try my best not to piss my pants when I play this because for one, I'm excited about a reboot to the series, and I'm a TR fan so I have to suck it up.  Go to your local Gamestop or gaming store to find a copy of this in GameInformer to read more interviews and see more screenshots.  

No comments:

Post a Comment