Monday, April 4, 2011

Television in the 21st Century: Regular Show

Hi, I'm hardcopy, and good God, what the hell did I just watch?  A show for children?  Well absolutely yes.

Inspired off of an acid trip, Regular Show is a new series on Cartoon Network about a raccoon, Rigby, and a blue jay, Mordecai, who are best friends and work on a golf course owned by Benson, a gum ball machine.  If you're not confused yet, then that's not the point.


A friend of mine showed me a couple of episodes, and let me tell you, whoever who thought of this was a complete genius.  Raccoons and Blue Jays going to see their favorite band, Fist Pump, in concert?  They need 400 dollars each to get tickets?  They hire a Japanese guy and a Japanese Coffee Bean guy, who shoots out coffee from his nipples?  This plot's amazing!  It makes way better sense than my dreams about my teeth falling out while I'm on a roller coaster to hell.

To be completely honest here, half the time I have no idea what's going on, but that's really the purpose here (at least I think it is).  There are more "whoa that was strange" funny than "that's clever" funny, unless you find this show to be as artsy instead of senseless like Ren and Stimpy.

However this guy got "inspiration" can only lead to one thing.  But for some reason kids really like this show and it's already airing another season.  What I like most about it is how the humor here reminds me of the generation I grew up in and how there were tons of shows which were funny and made no sense like Rocko's Modern Life at all.  But so far I have seen no other show on children's television like this today.  Weird comedy like this was way overdue to come back anyway.  It was just a matter of time before another Freakazoid showed up again.

Surprisingly there is swearing in here, and some of the bigger curses are somewhat censored.  In one episode Rigby and Mordecai make a hole in the wall and freak out that Benson will fire them if it doesn't get fixed.  Rigby says, "How the H are we going to fix this S."

Yeah not really outright swearing, but still, makes me question why the rating is still PG.  They also say "pissed" and "crap" a lot, but if you look back to some of the cartoons from the 90's both on Cartoon Network and Nick, those little cuss words did slip into some of the programs.  In one episode in Dexter's Lab where he gets an excuse to get out of gym, the couch comments, "What is this crap?"  And of course Helga in Hey Arnold used to say "freakin" a lot way before that word was even considered to be a swear. (On the side note, I still don't think it's a swear.)

Personally I would go check this out.  Regular Show is probably one of the biggest modern mysteries and you really can't explain Regular Show; you have to watch it. So far twenty nine episodes were aired and a few are on YouTube somewhere.  For starters definitely watch season one episodes first just to get a taste of how zany this really is.  You might find it too out there to watch when you first look at it, but trust me, it grows on you like a moldy fungus.

No comments:

Post a Comment