Thursday, April 7, 2011

Distant Worlds: Music From Final Fantasy



Greetings programs. On April 2nd I had the privilege thanks to my wonderful girlfriend (yeah I’m taken I know you’re all sad) to be apart of a live concert called Distant Worlds: Music From Final Fantasy. I’m pretty sure I don’t have to explain what kind of music they played at this thing but just encase you couldn’t guess it was music from Final Fantasy.

The conductor of the orchestra was a man named Arnie Roth. Don’t worry I never heard of him either. Anyway I have to say that I rather enjoyed the man. He brought energy that I don’t think I’ve ever seen in a conductor before. I was also amazed at his knowledge of Final Fantasy. Overall he was just as entertaining as the music!

The best part, though, had to be that fact that none other then Nobuo Uematsu was there. I was a little surprised that he wasn’t that one conducting but the fact that he was there was still awesome. As a video game fan and overall fan of his music the fact that he was there maybe the concert every more enjoyable.

Now for the music; what can I say its great music. To hear the music live like that was an experience I can’t even describe. Hearing it all those years coming from the speakers of my TV is nothing when compared to the awe-inspiring perfection of the orchestra as one might imagine. Going into this I though that they were just going to play Mr. Uematsu’s music but featured was music by others that have composed for Final Fantasy as well such as music from Final Fantasy 13 (music was good but seeing scenes from the game made me sick).

The way the concert worked encase you have never been to one before (other good one to look out for is Video Games Live) is that they play the music and projected on a screen are scenes from the game so it’s kind of like the most awesome FMV anyone could make. I basically knew all the music unless it was from FFV, 11 or 14. They played such songs as Dear Friends from FF V (so that was my first time ever hearing that song), Aerith’s Theme from FF VII (Also one of Mr. Uematsu’s favorite pieces), The Man With the Machine Gun from FF VII as well as over 2 hours worth of music.

I have to say though the highlight had to be the last two pieces as well as the encore piece. First was The Opera “Maria and Draco” from FF VI (my favorite FF game). This had to be by far one of the most epic pieces played and the three that sung it were amazing. After that was Terra’s Theme from FF VI which played to the credits of the concert. If you ever played FF VI and remember the opening where Terra and the two guards are walking towards Narshe in the Magitech armor and the open credits were playing it was basically that. However the encore now that was something. With Mr Uematsu on stage the conductor asked us if we would like to be members of one of the largest choirs. I was confused at what he meant until he said that we would be singing One-Winged Angel. As they played with Mr. Uematsu basically conducting us the lyrics to the song played with scenes of Sephiroth. Very memorable I think.

If you are a Final Fantasy fan and like this music in any shape or form then I would suggest finding out when this concert is coming to a city near you and go see it. Its well worth the money.

End of Line.

No comments:

Post a Comment