Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Secret Origin of The Duke!

Ok, i know what your thinking, what it all means.

Who is The Duke?

Where did he come from?

Does it mean anything?

Well, kinda. The Duke is my alter ego, the voice in my head, a mixture of Duke Nukem, John Wayne, Duke Ellington and could have played football for Duke University. OK, that just makes no sense at all, but some parts are true. Who really is the Duke, and why do i call myself that? Well, its simple really. I didnt get it from John Wayne, or Duke Nukem, listen much to Duke Ellington or follow Duke University football. Back in 1996, my father returns from a Microsoft Convention where he came back with a lot of swag. CD cleaners, a plushie Pentium 2 doll, key chains for the different software companies, then i find this.
This was the comic that inspired my nick name. A comic i dont think anyone really knows about. What is it about this that got my attention all these years ago, what is it about??

Actually i dont know what this comic is about quite frankly. I get the fact that Duke was the mascot of the Java, a computer language developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems in 1995. I guess within the community they had to incorporate some kind of logo which can be used, and thats when Duke was created also to show off what Java is. Java is the whole reason we have motion on the internet. Java is the program that we have to upgrade to see curtain things on the net.

Why did he captivate my imagination into making an alter ego that represents everything i am and not, but this is the reason why i am the Duke, i found this comic to be enjoyible and rather silly at the time. Still to this day i have credited this as the reason why i am the Duke. Today, the Duke is more than just a silly nickname that i came up with for the purpose of internet friends to call me. The Duke is me, i am him, the Duke will always be me.

The Duke abides, since 96

No comments:

Post a Comment