Saturday, May 7, 2011

New Games in the 21st Century: Devil May Cry

Hey, this is hardcopy, and I want to know what's with all these new remakes/reboots gaming companies are doing?  Well luckily, the DmC Devil May Cry coming out God knows when isn't exactly that; yet Ninja Theory remade the ENTIRE CHARACTER and worse of all...it's an...origin story.

So...let me get this straight.  We have 1, then 2, then 3 (which is a prequel to 1), and then 4, which is kind of a time skip from 2 with a different main character added into this mess.  Thanks, Capcom.  I love you and all, but you're really making this into a new screwed up Zelda timeline without musical themes.

So this is what Dante looks like.  Really scrawny compared to the manly man Dante in 4 and, sadly, also just as scrawny compared to Dante in 3.  *sigh*  Well here's the new trailer if you want to check it out.  And yeah, there's robots, too.  Just thought you would like to know.
We have been disappointed before in the second Devil May Cry.  The character changed from witty and funny to a very silent loner, just like Cloud in FFVII.  But when 3 came out, the game was awesome as hell so it did help redeem the series after that particular crawl.  I haven't heard a lot of great reviews on 4, but it still carries an interesting aspect between Dante's character and Nero's.

Personally I have nothing wrong against companies remaking their characters, but when you make Dante look so damn different and still have this game as part of the storyline, then there's gotta be the biggest twist of my life coming up at the end to make it make sense because right now it doesn't.  He's cute and all, but what's with the British flag arm band?  And...where's his white hair?

If you haven't took a wild guess already, there are a lot of fans suggesting that because of the experimentation that Dante is most likely under, he looks very different compared to the original character design.  And yes, he is under some sort of experimentation; don't tell me I'm blowing it out of my ass.  The trailer tells all.

Now again with the whole character redesign thing I was mentioning earlier, don't you dare think that the new Lara Croft is going to be the same as this piece of controversy right here.  At least she looks very similar and the game is taking a whole different direction rather than just hinging itself onto the storyline somehow like DmC is doing.  By the way that's a weird name, isn't?  DmC Devil May Cry?  This is going to make my conversations more awkward.

Alright alright, I  know I shouldn't be so nit-picky about something that isn't even out yet, but besides all of my peeps also saying that the trailer is a huge disappointment (and by peeps, I mean people on 4chan), I know this will go downhill  somehow, depending on how you look at it, because there are robots in the game and in the trailer.  Why are there robots in a Devil May Cry game?!  I don't understand.  I thought this was more about demon hunting and pizza and rocking and rolling without shirts on!  Seriously they better be freaking possessed or have a damn good excuse why there are so freaking many of them in the trailer or else the entire plot is screwed.  Screwed like John Cena in a Nexus convention (yeah that's a far out one, but you can call on Wiki for the assist).

Also he has an ax like weapon in the trailer; the ax, which we can all tell, is definitely not Rebellion.  Maybe in the storyline here he doesn't get the sword until a lot later.  Who knows?  Or if it is his sword, then damn, it could transform more than the CM Punk's facial hair (seriously I gotta stop doing this somehow...).  Later in the trailer, you see him use it as a grapple hook of some kind to latch onto a car and fling it around like a half ass yo yo.

What I can conclude from this is that even though it is still way too early to tell if I will get this game or not, I'm sure that I'm either going to enjoy this as a separate game itself, by just being something else instead of part of the series, or hate this game for being a prequel's prequel.   Usually when it comes to remade characters, I rage very easily.  When I saw what Claire Redfield will look like in the Dark Side Chronicles, I couldn't bring myself to play the game for months.  Why would she wear cowboy boots-whatever, I'm not even going to get started on that one.  Only time will time, but so far, it's not looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment