Tuesday, July 12, 2011

From Otaku to Whovian: a reflection of my geek self

I have been thinking to myself over the last few days since the end of ConnectiCon thinking where the exact point it was when i became less into anime and more into sci fi. I watch kids go around Ctcon in cosplay of their favorite animes, mainly Hetalia and other animes i never heard of. I admit i am not on top of the latest anime sensations or do i really care enough to really get into them at this point, i have my favorites and they might not be known to many people or if they are from the 1980s then some people would. I like many animes prior to 1990 and very few past that point. I like my Lupin the Third, Gundam, Cowboy Bebop to name a few but even my favorites are quickly going the way of the buffalo. I have been getting back into the genre that i have always been a part of for many years even before i was an anime fan, science fiction.

Sci Fi has been there more than most things, growing up, i was a huge trekkie. It was almost impossible not to be a trekkie in my youth as my parents were big into the original series of Star Trek. The first of the ST movies i saw was the Voyage Home, the movie that was not about action but Whales being the secret to humanities survival from an alien probe that apparently makes whale sounds and they have the most boring 5 movie minutes of all time, ITS FUCKING WHALE SONG FOR THIS ENTIRE TIME. But i might be getting diverted from my point here. SF has been a huge part of my life.

Growing up, i read the Alien Vs. Predator novels, watched The Next Generation frequently, and had a vast knowledge of anything space and space exploration. This was my life.

Fast foreword to Otakon 2009. A time of great transition. I joined a few friends in being Colonial Marines from the 1986 movie Aliens. This marked my ultimate transition from being a video game cosplayer, to sci fi cosplayer. 2 years later, Anime Boston 2011, i joined up with Doctor Who fans (or Whovians)as the 10th Doctor. This was my way of saying this is how i want to attend future conventions.

Even now, while at Connecticon, i was dressed up as the Nostalgia Critic, a hero of mine due to my love of the days of old. I hear some know who i was, others did not.

With a number of kids these days thinking they really know the 1990s like i do, they do not. 1990s tv was the reason i know what i know, it stuck with me.

At my age now, i find myself not a geek, i am a Whovian. Even if it is considered to be a part of the Doctor Who fandom, to me it is much more, it represents me as the sci fi fan i am. This is only the beginning of where i can say i found my place in fandoms and interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment